Thursday, December 11, 2008

See if I Ever Try to Predict a Dr's Appointment Again!

Well, have I had an interesting morning! Remember how I was a miss smarty pants yesterday about how easy going, and care free, and non exciting my Dr's appointment was going to be? Well, insert the foot now. My appointment was at 9:15 and I didn't get out of there until 11:45! 

Apparently my blood pressure has been slowly climbing over the past few visits. I remembered one visit a while ago, where she took my BP and said "Hm, that's kinda higher than normal..." and so she took it again. She had said it came down some. Well today it was 140/80 which is considered borderline. Your goal is to keep your BP lower than that, and apparently mine isn't cooperating. I also had some traces of protein in my urine. 

That means I have to go in weekly for non-stress tests (NST's) just for a better safe than sorry type of a deal. They went ahead and had me go in for one today (the nurse that does them is in the same office) and all you do is sit in a big comfy chair with the same external fetal monitors they put on you when you're in labor. You get to listen to your babies heart beat for a good 30-45 minutes if all is going well, or up to an hour or two if they're concerned. If you don't have a good NST, they send you in for a ultrasound.

Baby Scooter did what he was supposed to do (heart beat increases with fetal movement) and I'll be darned if that fetal monitor didn't pick up a contraction while I was there! It was just one, so the nurse wasn't concerned. She also told me that the reason why I was having the traces of protein in my urine could simply be because I hadn't had enough water that morning. I drank a big glass of orange juice before I went, and had drank probably close to a 16 oz glass of water between 3 and 6 this morning, so I don't know about that...but I hope that's the case!

Then, after the NST, my Doctor sent me down to labor and delivery where they drew my blood and gave me a lovely orange jug to collect my urine in for the next 24 hrs. Yippy skippy. Nothing like keeping your pee cold in the fridge. That was of course, AFTER I had to register as an outpatient AND pre-register for my delivery.

So, needless to say I'm worn out. I have to do fetal kick counts, cut back on salt and carbs, and make sure that I put my feet up every 3-4 hours for 10 minutes at a time. How much more precise can we get?? But, that's what Dr's do, they are precise. And that's why you have prenatal care...to help avoid problems. 

Besides, God is bigger than my blood pressure (that sounds kinda funny) but seriously, I'm not worried. My Dr talked again about an induction date. She gave me the low down on what would happen IF I were to develop pre-eclampsia, and encouraged me that most babies born after 34 weeks don't even need extensive NICU care, and that only 10-15% of babies born after 34 weeks and pre-term end up on oxygen. Etc, etc. She basically just told me not to worry, and that if my BP stays stable and doesn't continue to increase, we won't worry about that. However, she said if it starts to climb, and if the NST's ever show any stress as the weeks progress, she will consider an induction medically necessary at 38/39 weeks. So I believe she set me up sometime between the 15th and the 21st of January, and we'll see how it goes! After the 22nd, I start going weekly for my regular OB appointments. They'll do the Group B strep test, and also start cervical checks. 

All of that to say, I'm really not going to fret about it. Because, you know, if God can aide a woman through birth out in the middle of the African desert and keep her safe from harm, do I really think He is an any less powerful and merciful God because I'm in a labor and delivery room? I don't think so. 

People always say you shouldn't intervene with what is natural, and I believe that. I also believe that when we trust in HIM, and let those who we have entrusted the care of our health do what they think is needed to be done, my God is still greater! I said He is still GREATER than anything that any man or woman can do. Yes, I believe we are to be wise and seek His instruction in all things. But I'm not going to fear, or worry, or stress or try to take charge of something I have no idea about. I believe that the Holy Spirit can influence the heart and mind of any person if it means my protection. Whether they are saved, spirit filled, or not! If he can use a donkey to talk to a man, then I do believe I'm in good hands. :) 

Today has kinda slapped me in the face with the reality on just how CLOSE we are to our sweet baby being born. It's been in the back of my mind for the past few weeks, but now with all of this added hooplah, and the weekly visits, I have a feeling it's really going to be here before we know it. Then, life is really going to get interesting.  Everyone keeps going on and on about how they can't believe that Brandon is going to be a Daddy, and quite frankly, it's still shocks me from time to time that we'll soon have the title of parents. ;) 

I don't think life is just going to stop spinning and all the sudden hop on another axis that's rotating a different direction. I realize there will be adjustments, but if we both keep a good attitude and rely on strength that's not merely our own, I can still see us enjoying the things we do now. I'm most certain that between Scooters Grandma and his Aunt Rachel and Uncle Zach, Brandon and I will be able to make some time for ourselves, too. I've already told B that I want to mark the calendar every 6 weeks, and we are to have a date night! Even if that means sharing a cup of coffee and looking through books at Barnes & Noble, we are sure going to try to keep that up for each other. 

Golly gee, I'm getting all emotional thinking about it. Hand me a hanky! :P 

That's the latest greatest. My sister in-law is coming over to paint tomorrow, so I'm excited about that. I'll post pictures when it's done. 

Hope ya'll have a great rest of the work-week. There's only two more weeks until Christmas!!! 
Love ya,
LeAnna

7 Thoughts On the Matter:

Anonymous said...

That's right! God is in control! And before you know it, your lil' man is going to be here in your arms.

Or I guess I should say, 'there' in your arms. Because he won't be 'here' in your arms. Lol.

Anyway, I'm praying for you and Baby Flower!

Jenn said...

Well the time is going to fly by even faster with the weekly appts and I will definitely pray that all goes well.

What are ya'll going to be painting? Is the nursery done yet? Can we see pics?? :)

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

I'm praying for you! In the name of JESUS you will be fine! God IS bigger than anything this rotten ol' world can hand us. You guys will be fine! You are a strong person and it will all be good. You better pack that bag and be gettin ready....remember I mentioned my babies were 3 weeks early? Totally caught me off guard! Don't forget the special stuff I told you about! ha ha

Anglican Mama said...

Isn't God completely awesome? A big wonderful AWE in awesome. He's knitting Baby Flower as you speak, searching him and knowing him before he tastes oxygen! :) When we think of how we don't create life, don't command the sea or the storms, don't hold the earth on that axis...it's amazing how in control we realize we AREN'T! Thank you for the thoughts, girl!

Ranch wife said...

You just set your self down and spend this remaining time pampering you and baby. It will be a whirlwind when little baby Flowers arrives so take advantage now!

Smart thing, the date night, it is very easy to let things like that go when a new one arrives, but itdoes not help a marriage. You are blessed to have your Mom close by, and she will be blessed to watch her grandson while you and Brandon have some alone time.

Will be lifting you and baby up.

~M~

Kate said...

Hope all continues to go well. But looking on the bright side, like Ranch Wife said, enjoy the quiet rest now! I bet you are too excited for that though! I know I would be! :) Can't wait for pics of that sweet babe!

Nicole said...

Lemme tell ya, it's crazy how you spend nine months preparing for the baby and then one day, poof! You leave the house as two people (you and your husband) and you come back as three. And suddenly, you're parents! =)

I'll be praying for you. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my lil' man. The complications weren't fun and I ended up being induced, but you know what? Everything worked out. God walked through those months with us and our baby boy was born beautiful and perfect. =) So yes, our trust should be in Him, cuz He is bigger!

Oh, and I echo what the other ladies have said. Date nights rock! I had to lol, because my husband and I go to Barnes n Noble, too! =)