Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A few pictures of this that and the other.

First of all, I'd like to say that whoever runs blogger.com needs to fix the picture loading thing so that it adds pictures below each other, not above each other. I'd also like to say that Mac's drag and drop option is absolutely awesome! When it works right. 


That being said, please enjoy these totally and completely un-chronological ordered pictures. 


This is me and the bull calf. You see, we spent all day Saturday working cows for an older man who doesn't need to work cows anymore. This little dude was only a few days old and separated from his Momma, so he pretty much let me waller all over him like a little dog. I thought our baby cows were cuter, but maybe I'm just a biased cattle momma. If there is such a thing. 

These are our new, nameless "girls" we recently adopted from the shelter. They are Australian Shepherd somethings. I haven't decided yet. Maybe heeler? Maybe catahoula? Maybe *gulp* pit bull? Akita? Keeshond? They have the aussie build, but the color is way weird. Australian Shep's do come in a pretty red merle, as well as liver and white- so that could be where the red is from, but the hair coat is a definite mix. As you can see, they're sharing a bowl containing their first meal.

However, that didn't work out so great, so one got the dish and the other got a plastic dessert bowl. Apparently they don't like sharing their food. Such women. 


This one is the older one. She's probably 4 or 5. She's super sweet and really affectionate. She needs a name, any suggestions? She's gonna get shaved Tuesday, because she's really matted.

This one is probably 1 or 2, she's really active and apparently is the alpha female despite the age difference. She's really affectionate too, I've never known two dogs to love attention so much. They aren't pushy, they don't bark and whine and jump- but if you're sitting on the ground they will climb right in your lap and be happy as clams. 

Well, every good cow dog needs cows to chase. This was from our Saturday adventures. I'm really fried, even still my arms are red. My forehead is peeling, it's great. 

This is how we round up cows on his place. By good ol' Chevrolet. 

You know how there's always that one cow that is super photogenic, and how they always have snot hanging out of their nose? Well, here's your gal. 

Brandon is feeding them so they'll all run into one pen. It's all about bribery and trickery and such around here. Well, it could have something to do with the fact that we were dealing with a near 80 year old man. I'm sorry, I'm not a cowgirl. I like doing this, but wasn't bred with any cow sense unlike all the Doc's and Peptoboonsmal's of the world are. I  am no cutting horse. 

Beware of the man with the red stick! Brandon loves doing this stuff. It didn't bother him one bit that it took us 5 hours to work 45-55 head of cattle. Or that I got sunburned so bad I look akin to a lobster. Or that I got splashed by cow urine, and spattered with manure all over my jeans, and in my hair. (those weren't grass stains) Or that a large gnat like bug had a head on collision with my eyeball and I had to smoosh it in my eye so it would quit flapping it's gnat-like wings. Did I mention my forehead is peeling and that this girl aint the cow whisperer? 

Well, I have to admit, it was fun. For like the first 3 hours, then they started griping at me because I wasn't herding the cows properly through the alleys and squeeze chutes and stuff, and so  I said pardon me, I didn't ask to do this. I was volunteered upon. So don't you be gripin' at me! Men! That's why women stay home and cook, because it's in their element. Besides, cow poop tastes bad. 

Tomorrow is my last day working for the rest of the week, and I'm ready! I was supposed to get off at noon today and be done with my work week, but noooo. I have to forfeit sleeping in and go work till noon tomorrow. And now I have dogs to play with, but no backyard. Which means they sleep in the garage, along with all the other critters. It's nice having them here though, they bark at strange things, which is nice and comforting. Considering I'd never know the strange things were there before, and ignorance would be bliss. 
But it's nice. Brandon is working late tonight, so I'll probably head to bed soon.
I need to know what to name the dogs. Does anyone have any suggestions? I liked the names Sage and Sorrel- but I think Brandon nixed it. He wanted to name then prostitute names like Jezebel, because we bailed them out of jail. But I told him no. Why do guys have to be so tacky, no matter how sweet they are? I mean, really. Spare me. 
 
My hubby just called and asked that I come pick him up. :) So, I better get goin'. 
Praying the rest of your week is blessed, and praise the Lord it's on the downhill slide, the weekend's a comin'! 
-LeAnna

6 Thoughts On the Matter:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and the new family members! Your pictures were great too, you should have saddled up ole' Sassy and then you could have shown those guys a thing or too. As for the names how about Roxy,Sheba,Lucy,Susie.......Ok, that's all my tired brain can come up with.

Jenn said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but when I first saw your pics of the dogs eating, the first thing I thought was that they looked like warthogs! They have such an interesting coat color =)

I also thought you and your calf were very cute =)

Jenn said...

It's a beautiful Sunday afternoon here and I just finished my dishes too! We have friends coming over for steaks on the grill so I'm looking forward to the fellowship =) And I am most certainly looking forward to my cafemom letter! Yay! I love love love letters! Have a nice rest-of-the-weekend =)

P.S. Have you named your warthogs yet??

Paula said...

I don't think I thought they were warthogs, especially since I don't think I've seen one, but I did notice their coat color as well.

Reminded me of an episode of Little House on the Prairie where they needed wolves but used regular longer haired dogs and colored their fur - you could tell they weren't wolves - I thought, "How dumb do they think we are?"

I love the photogenic cow! She is just camera quality!!

Blessings!

Paula in KS

Anonymous said...

Ummm....I hate to do this. I really, really do, but here goes-"Blogging is a responsibilty!" Ok, I said it. Now I can rest easy! :P Love ya~

Anglican Mama said...

Oh my goodness, sounds like you had a day! Hope your sunburn is all nice and healed into a tan by now, late comment thanks to my blogspot absence--though you've told me before you don't "tan". :-)

You're "cow manure tastes bad" made me laugh. Yes it does, affectionately stated.

I actually read most of your blog post the day before, but got interrupted right when you were about to explain why Brandon wanted to name them Biblical prostitutue names...I laughed when it was because you busted them "out of jail".
Hmm...being partial to Jane Austen, I like Eleanor and Marianne???
Have a blessed Wed, girl! Love ya!