Monday, April 27, 2009

Of Chicken Auctions, Sleepless Nights, Etc...

Oh, I'm tired. So tired I think there is a layer of tired-funk under my eyelids. It's kind of like toe funk, only not so much. 


Yesterday Brandon drove to Kansas City, MO with his Mom and brother (his brother is moving there to work on a golf course) so that his Mom wouldn't have to drive back alone. He was gone from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. I went to Church with Mom and Dad sunday morning, and then ate with them, came home and slept from 4-6 and then was up until midnight because we had some really bad thunderstorms with lightening and possible tornados. Needless to say, it made it hard to sleep. It was SO humid in the house because B has yet to reconnect our a/c- 79 degrees and 100% (well, something like that) humidity makes for les miserable conditions! Quade didn't go to sleep until 10 p.m, and was up again at 1, 3, 5, 6 and 7:45 - and there was a lot of crying involved. I think he was hot because it was so warm in the house. It finally cooled down to 74 in here this morning, and he's crashed on the bed. 

Needless to say I'm a bit of a bear this morning. I had to call and deal with insurance people this morning, and that doesn't make for a great way to start off the week!

HOWEVER. I am so glad we got such a downpour of rain last night! Our yard really greened up and it's wonderful for the garden. There's a 20-50% chance of rain every day on the 7 day forecast, so I think Brandon needs to get the a/c hooked up asap because this humidity makes things so uncomfortable. 

We had a great weekend, though. Minus Brandon being gone on Sunday. Saturday morning we got up and went to pick up an inmate so he could work. Only, he didn't end up working because it looked rainy (he was supposed to paint) so he rode around with us all day. Nothing like carting around a halfway house guy. I found 2 Cuckoo Marans hens on craigslist that morning, so we drove out to pick them up. They came with a rooster, which we do not want. He's kind enough to not start crowing until 7:30 each morning, but he's being relocated to Grammies house. She welcomes grandbabies, granddogs and grandroosters. ;) Anyway, the Marans hens are sweet. Their backs are beat up from the rooster, but I think with a little tlc they'll be back to their beautiful selves. They kept right on laying the day we brought them home. The handling didn't seem to bother them one bit. Their eggs aren't as dark as the ones I showed, but that's typical of the Cuckoos. 

Saturday afternoon we attended a chicken auction. It was by far the most redneck event I've been to. Never seen such an array of folks in my life! We stayed two hours, just long enough for them to finally start auctioning off the chicks. I bought 21 assorted Marans chicks for .50 cents each, but I'm pretty sure they're Welsummers and not all Marans, but that's okay. The one little Cuckoo Marans pullet died, which figures. I know there are 3 little Cuckoo cockerels in the bunch, but hopefully I can send them back through the auction and get a buck each out of them. We'll see. ANYWAY. It's fun having chicks again, and for .50 each, as long as I end up with a few girls I'll be doing pretty good. I'm pretty sure there are at least two I can tell right now. 

Anyway, that's about all I know for the time being. I think I just might go join Quade on the bed for a few minutes. 

Of course that means as soon as my head hits the pillow he'll wake up, but such is life. 

:) 

Have a great Monday! 

3 Thoughts On the Matter:

Anonymous said...

I'm tired too, I did get a bit more sleep than you did though. ;) I just can't seem to shake this fatigue. Anyhow, you must show pictures of the new girls!

Ranch wife said...

You make me chuckle. I have been to a lot of livestock sells......but have yet to attend a chicken auction.....is is a catered affair...maybe by KFC????

~M~

Nicole said...

Reading your blog makes me want to move out to the country. :) Have fun with your chickens!!