Let the cuteness commence.






Oh, he is a boy of many facial expressions. Hard to believe how much of their own personality they have developed by the time they turn 3 months old. The fit throwing, the smiles, the thoroughly amused look he gets on his face, it's all precious. When I think about the fact that he's 11 weeks old, my first instinct is to say that 11 weeks seems like eterrrrrnity ago, but then I'm reminded at how new he still is. Eleven weeks is nothing, and yet they grow so fast. He will be 3 months old on the 20th, and if you're like me, these months are just whizzing right on by and it will be here before I know it.
THREE months! I mean, c'mon. He can start eating cereal in a month if I wanted to try that. CEREAL. My baby, eat cereal???? Nawww. ;) In all cereal-ness (oh, I crack myself up) as long as he's getting enough nursing, I think we're going to hold out until 6 months to introduce any cereal or veggies/fruits. I've been doing some research on it, and I think that will be best for us. I'm also considering bypassing the rice cereal route and going straight to quinoa. I've read some excellent things about it, it's protein packed, and feel like it would be a better start. It's organic, and if I buy it in bulk at the health food store I can make it myself and not have to buy the boxed stuff. That typically means cheaper, too. I know they say rice first and so on, but I don't much listen to what all they say about anything anymore. I've turned into quite the conspiracy theorist in the past few months. ;) I am planning on making the majority of his baby food, and only buying some to keep on hand for outings (I've been able to get Earthsbest Organic baby food with coupons at BRU for .40-.50 cents a jar...) and the like.
I'm also contemplating making the big switch to cloth diapers. I ordered some BumGenius 3.0 pocket diapers, and then ordered a few sizes of all in ones from The Crazy Cloth Shop (aka Sarah) and I'm going to see how I do with them. I've decided that I would like a good stash of cloth diapers on hand in case we see a day in time when we can't find diapers, let alone afford them. Unfortunately, with the way our president is acting these days, it wouldn't surprise me if we have to start paying to flush the toilet. But that is another story.
I'm kind of excited to make the switch. Even though I've never paid full price for a package of disposables, I always like having my options. Brandon doesn't seem to think I'll stick with it. It was so funny, I was asking him if it was okay if I bought some cloth diapers, and he asked for the pros and cons, etc. I started off by saying "Well, cloth diapering is...." and he stopped me and said, "Did you just say cloth diapering, like it was an organized movement or something?" :P The look on his face was pretty funny. Yes, cloth DIAPERING is a movement alright. He ought to know, seeing how his Mammy used to diaper him in cloth before even the pre-fold was around. ;)
On the note of stashing and stocking and self preservation (in essence) I've also thought about making homemade laundry soap. I need some info on this. I've seen several recipes for it, but wonder how well it works. I have a front load washer, too - anyone have any insight on this? I know it's easy and cheap to make. A lot of recipes call for fels soap, borax and washing soda, but I've heard that the borax and washing soda fade your clothes quickly. Experience? Anyone?
On a completely non-organic or self sustaining note, I colored my hair last night and it turned out WAY darker than I expected. Not sure what all happened, but between my Mom and I, we had Brandon singing El Vira. Most unfortunately. Today we had it cut, and then Mom put a highlight on mine which helped tone it down a lot. I actually like it now, it doesn't freak me out anymore. I'll have to see if I can get a poor soul to take a picture before it fades (despite the fact it's not supposed to!!!).
Well, it is approaching supper time, and I have nothing in mind. I sure hate it when that happens. I don't like pondering over what to cook for supper. I like to just know what we want to eat and cook it. I do enough laboring each day, the thought of laboring over supper ideas is not a pleasant thought. =)
But, you do what you must do.
Or starve.
Have I mentioned I like having options?
=)

5 Thoughts On the Matter:
What a cutie that Quade is! :) I can't wait to take pictures of him and Quintin someday! :)
I wanna see your hair! I have thought about going darker... but haven't gotten up the courage.
Ugh, coming up with supper ideas is torture.
Oh he is soooooo cute. I really really want to rock him a bit. I like rocking, have I ever mentioned that??
I colored my hair one time and it turned out puprley red. Yuck. Not a good look unless you are into wearing chains, body part piercing and tattoos. It was pretty awful. Now I just stay with my natural gray highlights. I did have someone ask me where I had it done. Ha Ha Ha snort and chuckle!
I don't trust baby food. I don't trust our President. I don't trust diaper companies, or hair color companies for that matter. :):):)
Just kidding...kinda. Cloth diapers are better.....but oh the work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did use them more in the summer. I reasoned that I would hate to wear plastic panties.....so it would stand to reason that they would hate to wear plastic diapers.
Did you hear that we will be taxed on our flushing? And the money will go to a stimulus package for China to have more toilet paper, because you know they have way more people then we do over here. And heaven forbid they should run out. I am just kidding. I made that up. I didn't get much sleep last night...can ya tell.
Have a great day and give that baby a hug from NM
~M~
I've just made my own laundry soap. I've gotten rave reviews from friends who use it already. It has the Borax and Washing Soda in it. Quite frankly, I haven't found any laundry detergent that keeps my colors. Or gets them clean. At least this stuff gets them clean.
I also made my own babyfood!
HOWEVER - I am not a cloth diaper person!
I love the pictures - especially the 2nd one. he's just adorable!
I always used cloth diapers - mainly because my kiddoes were allergic to wearing disposable very long. My clothes lines used to be full of diapers! I'd love to do the laundry soap too, we get ours at Cosco but it's still expensive.
Oh my that 2nd picture is just priceless!!!
Ah yes, our illustrious new leader...
Pat and I have been looking into self sustaining ways as well.
Post a Comment