Saturday, February 21, 2009

What 1 Month Will Teach Ya:

So our little punkin' head turned a month old yesterday, and I have a confession to make. 


I didn't even take his picture! What kind of mother am I? If it matters, we were out and about all morning, and then spent the rest of the day at Grammies house (oh, can we say TWO HOUR nap???) so I didn't exactly have an opportunity to set him up for a photo shoot. So, I will be taking one today and have the proof up later. 

I guess now is also the time to admit that I don't take a picture of our first born every day. Is that against the rules of hip-motherhood? If so, please give me a head start before you send out the mommy police. Thank you. 

I've given much thought to what I've learned over the past 4 weeks and some odd days, and I figured I'd share some of the deep and profoundly informative...information...that I received.

1.) This too shall pass - CORRECT 
All of you Mom's were exactly right. Do you hear me? Should I say it again? YOU WERE RIGHT! (Don't you love seeing that in letters?) IT (the whole variety of it I so haphazardly shared with the interwebz) did pass. And then a whole new slew of it arrived, but never fear, it passed too! Followed by more, which passed. Do you see a trend? Do you also agree newborns are like micro sized puzzles that just so happen to be missing a few important pieces? 

I would also like to add, that just like this too, gas will pass through your newborn approximately 2 seconds after you get him into a deep sleep, causing him to awaken and the process to start all over again. The end. 

2.) Bre*st  Feeding Gets Easier - CORRECT (with disclaimer) 
First of all, I have to say I'm glad I kept with the BF'ing. I wanted to quit SO many times, you have no idea. When I say quit, I mean, I wanted to throw in the towel big time. I was so frustrated with the shield and the clumsiness of it all, it was tough. Then, little Q turned 3 weeks old and about halfway through the week he decided he would eat without the shield, and the angels sang, but the BF journey was just beginning! We are basically experiencing the first few weeks of BF that would typically happen the first few weeks of life, not the first few weeks of not using a shield. That means we are still working on getting a good latch, and dealing with all the frustrations that come with the first few weeks of nursing. Is it easy? Nooot really, but the bigger our little guy gets the more progress I'm seeing. Is it worth waking up every 1.75-2 hours at night? Actually, it's very satisfying, in some crazy way. Knowing the trouble Quade has had with Momma's milk, I can't imagine the upset tummy he'd be experiencing with formula. (Which, btw we have solved a lot of the upset tummy/gassy/excessive spit up by cutting out dairy, grapes, soy milk AND by addressing an overactive let-down issue I have...also, I've been taking acidophilus and I think it is helping.) So, to make a long story longer, I really hope we have a long future of nursing ahead of us. I definitely would like to make it to 6 months at a minimum, and a year if we can. However, we're just gonna take it as it comes, but I really feel like the bigger Q gets the more easy it is for him. He was so tiny and has such a little mouth that the more he matures the better he gets at nursing. 

3.) Co-Sleeping is Bad - WRONG
We love it, and it works for us. We don't co-sleep all of the time, and I still put Quade to sleep in his bassinet at first, but if he ends up in bed with us at some point, I don't fret about it. Last night he slept in his bassinet like a champ, some nights are just tougher than others. I would like to thank M for reminding me that he will NOT be in bed with us when he's 18, so I really need to just relax ;) 

4.) Belly Sleeping is Bad - WRONG
Your pediatrician, doctor, nurses and every other medical professional will put the fear of God into you about SIDS with the Back to Sleep program. And I do mean fear. However, some babies are just belly sleepers. Quade won't sleep any other way. Sometimes I can get him to sleep on his side, but with his tummy and spit-up issues, he sleeps so much better on his stomach. Again, we don't fret about it. Just like everything else, you have to do what is best for YOUR baby. I was really discouraged by the nurses that I would spoil my baby by doing xyz, and I think that's just baloney, if you want to know my opinion. 

As far as other little miscellaneous stuff I've learned this 1st month: 

Pacifiers are a life saver. Quade prefers the MAM's - and I truly believe they helped him form the muscles he needed for nursing. I could tell a difference in his suck when he used a NUK and the MAM.

Wipe warmers aren't a necessity. Glad I only paid $1 for mine. 

Walgreen brand wipes are better than Pampers, and though a little thinner than Huggies, I think they will be our favorite. I plan on stocking up when they go on sale!

Chair ottomans make great changing tables. However, they're harder to get poo off of than a changing pad cover is. ;)

You sure use a lot of diapers for a newborn. 

Poop becomes fascinating. You count how many times they go, and the color is how you know they're getting what they need. Gross.  

PPD is real, and it stinks. Mine lasted 2 weeks, and it was a feeling that you just can't place in any other category. Remembering to call upon the Lord was even a struggle. For me it was truly a battle. I know a lot of women end up on an anti-depressant for PPD, and I know that if I would have gone to my Dr. about it, she would have put me on some lickity split. I would never down anyone who ended up taking something, and have friends who have needed it, however I'm glad I stuck it out. Maybe I'm just hard headed, but I know it was the Lord who saw me through, and I say that with humility because there's nothing proud about feeling insane. There's also nothing special about toughing it out, and there wont be an extra jewel on my crown for it, but it worked for me.

A shower or bath feels like heaven. Especially if you only get one every two days :0)

Napping when baby sleeps is essential!! 

Taking your vitamins will help. I take my prenatals, extra C, omega 3's w/ DHA and a B complex. I can tell when I've missed a few days! 
  
There is a ton more I could go on and on about, but you Mamas know all that, and you soon to be Mamas will soon discover what works and doesn't work for you. Everyone is different! 

One thing I do know is that the encouragement of those who care about you is vital.

That, and the help, love, advice and support of your Mom. Grammies are the best, and I couldn't have gotten through the first month without her. 

Not to be forgotten is the goodness of the Lord. Unfortunately it's far too easy to collapse in bed at night without having spent any time with Him. However the day can be so much sweeter when time is given to the Maker of life. Some days we turn on worship music and leave it on for hours, simply because it ministers to the heart and allows us the opportunity to give glory where it's due. 

And so, that's just a taste of what all we've been up to this first month. Like I said, I'll take some pictures today and get them up later. Right now I need to get dressed, and try to make it to Wally world for some salad fixings. Ya'll have a great weekend! 

LeAnna

4 Thoughts On the Matter:

Countrygirl said...

There's the sweet L that I met on here! Hoorah! Good days still overcome the bad ones. So thankful you are feeling better and that things are all working for ya'll now! Jesus is our saving grace!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Praise the Lord you're feeling better and so is that precious little boy. I can't believe he's already 1 month old. Have a wonderful weekend!
Leslie

Anonymous said...

Good to have our old LeAnna back! :) I should print this off and put it on my ice box, so when it's finally my turn I can read it over and over. :)

Jenn said...

I'm just catching up but wow! Loved this post! Bookmarking it to go back to in Sept/Oct :)