Thursday, November 6, 2008

Cow-oh-tees

That's what my sister used to call coyotes, and it's sorta just stuck. Anyway, we have a large pack of them that like to hang out down by the creek that's behind our addition. Early, early this morning, at about 2 or 3 a.m, I woke up to this blood curdling howling/barking/yipping and it sounded like they were right outside the window! B went flying out of bed yelling "The chickens! The chickens!" and we proceeded to make our way to the back door, flung it open and stared out into the darkness. Now, I'm half asleep still and I realize that all I have on is a night shirt and my undies. Not a great combination for the chilly morning air. I should also mention that we live right off the road, and I was thanking my sleepy stars that no one was out at that time of morning....

Brandon saw the coyotes, and counted three of them. They were down by the road, but I think our mad flinging of the back door open scared them so they ran off. I couldn't see a thing but hazy foggy blackness. The mastiffs that live between us and the creek were going crazy, and that helped herd them off, too. Darned coyotes!

I grew up out in the sticks and have fallen asleep to the lull of coyote howls, but we never had them barking out by the bedroom windows! Of course we always had an ugly dog or two to keep them in the fields. I've never heard one so close that it sounded like they were in the house! 

Sure enough, I went out to check the chickens and there were tracks everywhere by the pen. They had been scoutin' out my hens. I don't like that much, 'cause them's my shikens! We also have foxes out here like crazy, too. I told Brandon I want a fence, a fence and a big, big dog. 

Hopefully with this job we got, we'll be able to put a fence in by the first of spring. I hope, I hope. 

So, we had our 28 week appointment today. Scooter is measuring right on track, as usual. He's not quite big enough for the Dr. to palpate and feel how he's positioned, but maybe by the next appointment he will be. We'll now be going every 3 weeks, which will make things go by even more quickly if I could guess...

I passed all of my tests, WOOHOO. No GD, anemia, and no RH antibodies, so we're all good to go. I was sooo relieved. I did not want to take a 4hr GD test. We also discussed an induction date...not too thrilled about that, because I do not want to have to be induced. However, the PA just told me why they like to pick a date, and it's basically so the Dr. can make her schedule. They pick a date at 39 weeks, and if you're dilated and in "favorable" conditions, they can do it then, IF you want. You do not have to stick with it, and you can tell them at any time if you don't want to be induced. However, they don't like letting  first time Mom's  go over 40 weeks and 3 days. I know my Mom was 2 weeks late with me, and a week or two late with my sister. However, she was 3 weeks early with my brother who weighed nearly 9 pounds. 

That being said, once 37 weeks hits, I'm going to be doing what I can to naturally stimulate labor. With the exception of drinking cod liver oil. Not so sure I wanna do that...
That and prayin', gonna pray he just pops out in a timely fashion without any aid from modern science. With induction comes an increased risk for c-section, and I really don't want to end up there. Do you hear that, Scooter? 

Anyway, IF they were to induce, it would be Jan 21st. At least that gives us a goal. Jan 31st would be exactly 40 weeks and 3 days, so we'll hopefully end up with a January baby regardless if he's late or not! 

I've been doing my Christmas shopping! I can't believe that Christmas will be here NEXT month. Isn't that nuts? I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving, too. Not so much for the fact that we're having it at my in-laws, but just because I plan on making our own turkey and fixings. My parents might be going to Louisiana to a camp meeting, so we may have it with them when they get back. 

My father in-law has been a really mean man the past few months, so I'm really not looking forward to going over there for Thanksgiving. As much as I do not get along with my MIL, I feel sorry for her. She's in a terrible relationship, and it's no wonder she's the way she is a lot of the time. When your husband isn't supportive, or even remotely kind, it makes it hard to be mentally stable. I don't say that in a mean way at all, I really truly believe that is why she is so back and forth and in between in her relationship with us...she has zero stability at home. 

ANYWAY. That's your random fact for the day. I have plenty of those, trust me. 

Speaking of random, I made Mascarpone cheese yesterday. YES, for real. I made cheese from scratch! My first batch I spilled all over my fridge, in the drawers, under the fridge, down the side. In case you're wondering, you make Mascarpone with whipping cream, and whipping cream is 36% butterfat. Makes for a pain in the hiney spill on aisle 1. 

But I pressed onward. I bought more cream, made more cheese, and now I have a pound or more of beautiful mascarpone for my tiramisu. It only cost me roughly 3.50 to make that, if you pretend I didn't spill a batch everywhere. I did have to pay $5 for a bottle of tartaric acid on ebay, but I have a ton of it, so it nets the price down quite a bit. Considering an 8oz tub at the store is 5 bucks, I think the ratio works itself out quite nicely! 

So, bring on the tiramisu. I'm ready. 

Well, I need to go clean some stuff up so I'm not rushing around before we leave for our prenatal classes tonight. We're touring the L&D rooms tonight, so it should be interesting. ;)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Photobucket

6 Thoughts On the Matter:

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

What the heck kind of cheese is that and what do you eat it with? I'm so impressed!!!
Ok, it's official, if you and Ranch Wife got together...the book would just be hilarious!
I'm absolutely sure I would love to drive down, meet you in OKC and we could catch the next big bird to Utah to see Countrygirl, watch it snow, talk about Jesus, Laugh and have the BEST TIME! Wouldn't that be awesome? Have a great day and weekend. I'm heading to a weekend of scrapbooking...I'm so excited to go, I'll have more to share next week, with pics! I'll be praying for your in-laws...that makes me sad..may you and your DH continue to be the light of Jesus that you are!

Heather said...

Wow, LeAnna! I'm so impressed that you made cheese from scratch! I'm trying to learn how to do that with the milk I'm getting from our goat, but it's a much more complicated process than I thought! That must have been SO scary about the coyotes! I think I probably would have been freaking out! Oh, and about induction and all that fun stuff...during the last week of my pregnancy with Mercy, we were all trying to fight colds, so I loaded up on vitamin C, not even realizing that it's a natural labor inducer (probably 'cause you get the runs so bad...sorry if TMI! ;-) ), anyway, Mercy was born only 1 day late! As opposed to Noah who was about 2 1/2 weeks late. Just thought I;d let ya know! I'll be praying this little one comes on time! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Just wait until you hear what I did with my salsa last night. Sheesh.
Speakin' of coyotes, I had a lovely carcass of one waiting for me when I got home last night. My doberman must really love me to bring such a gift! ;)

Jenn said...

Coyotes!?!? Geesh~ I'd be so cotton-pickin scared! I've never seen a live one and I hope I never do. A couple weeks ago we saw one splattered all over the road on our way to a Gator game, and that's just how I like them. I hope you get your fence SOON!

And you and your yogurt-and-cheese-makin-self never cease to amaze me!

Jenn said...

Hey woman! I gots something for you! Look at my bloggie =P

Paula said...

Les - You are not going without me!

LeAnna - I have a really great Austrailian Shephard - "Cowgirl" is her name and she prowls the boundries of our place. One night I heard a crazy carrying-on out back and sure-nough - she had a coyote at bay - it smelled my BBQer and had to come for a closer look. She was protecting the place. I decided I really liked her, even though I am not a dog fan!

Also - I was induced with Bo - went natural, no C-section, and did fine!