Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I often wonder if common sense has flown the coop.

A woman called today and asked "How long is a dog pregnant for?" and I replied "For 3 three week trimesters." and she said "Okay, well how long are they pregnant before that?" to which said "They are only pregnant for 3 three week trimesters." after a long pause she said "Well, how long is it overall?" and at this point I was a bit flabbergasted so I said "Well, they are pregnant for THREE periods of THREE weeks each." Finally she said, "I mean, how long does it last?!?!" I then came upon the conclusion that she couldn't do the math. Or something. Maybe she hated math as a child? I don't know. I said "They are pregnant for 9 weeks total, broken up into 3 three week periods." That finally clicked and she said "Ohh, okay! Thanks!" and hung up. This made me shake my head for a good 3 minutes. I don't expect everyone to just know stuff, really, that's insane, but I've never heard of a woman who isn't at least somewhat familiar with the term trimester. Lordy have mercy. 

My pic of the day follows. 

Hook 'Em Horns


This is my picture for the day. Distastefully posted right before supper time. It's really not that bad. Then again, I often eat my lunch while we do these things. I should have an iron stomach by now. However, there are still some things that send me to my knees, or the toilet. I have to get all of this piddly puff stuff out to the way. I have a very personal struggle to share with you today. So, hang in there. 

I've been reading a book entitled Bring Back the Joy by Sheila Walsh, and if you've never heard of her, or read any of her stuff, you should get this book. She has some great things to say. Something that really grabbed my attention today was Isaiah 55:9, you know the scripture My ways are higher than your ways....and it's something we often forget. Sheila says, 

"Life with God under the new covenant of grace is not a quid pro quo (meaning a favor or request granted in exchange for something) relationship. We do not bargain with God: I'll do this for you; you do that for me. Yes there may be painful consequences to our disobedience, and there may be blessing in obedience-but God does not owe us anything. It is all his grace. We are not equal partners sitting down at the table doing a deal. he pours his love out on us because that is who he is, not because we've earned it. We are called to "take up our cross every day and follow," and we do not get the pick the route."

I had a miscarriage in early February. Some of you know that, and some of you don't, and I've been really quiet about it since it happened and thought I was handling things well, considering. The pain was evident. Brandon and I have really been wanting to start our family, and to have this happen was a real heart break. I know that God is the Ultimate Life Giver, and that what He has planned for us always exceeds our own ideas. Still, it hurt. I know, that I know, that I know that when the time is right then all will be right.  I know that with my entire being. Then, everyone I know started coming up pregnant. Okay, so not everyone, but people that are close to me. From women I love like sisters, to my 19 year old cousin I don't ever see, to the 43 year old neighbor down the street who has been trying to have another baby since her 9 year old son was a few years old. I am so happy for my friends, I can tell you that is true and honest. There is just so many things that happen to a woman whose hormones aren't right, and the thought that I failed in my first attempt at childbearing has been a very oppressing thought. Enter the above paragraph by Mrs. Walsh. Little did I know that I was heading that very direction. Bargaining with God isn't as far from our spiritual little minds as we think it is. It's so easy to fight an inner struggle, calling it our own, holding on to it while it pulls us under all while thinking "But God, I'm hanging in here! I'm drowning in this because this is where you want me to be! I'll just keep my head above water if you'll let me be okay!" and we take the burden upon ourself instead of just stopping to think, His ways are not our ways. Realizing that, He doesn't give us more than we can handle, yet at the same time sometimes he doesn't want us to handle anything. He wants us to take his grace for what it is and let Him handle things for a while. After all, we are to pick up our cross and follow him,  not pick the route. And through this we can have joy, regardless. And that's where I am. I'm a slightly tattered and cautious woman wanting to be a mother, but oh so optimistic  because my Jesus knows. He handles!  And my Father's Grace is so sufficient for me. I like that so much I'm going to type it again...

His Grace Is Sufficient For Me
His GRACE is SUFFICIENT for ME! 
=) 

So, I'm going to be trusting Him the best I can. I'm not going to try to have faith in my faith. Nor am I going to trust in my faiths faith. Some trust in chariots, and some trust in horses, but I will trust upon the Lord. I will choose to trust and have faith and believe that HE is who HE says He is, and that name is Faithful. 
-LeAnna

4 Thoughts On the Matter:

Anglican Mama said...

Thank you, girl. In tears am I now, cause I needed this very desperately.
I really don't feel like posting tonight, but I shall persevere.

Anonymous said...

Good post girl. I needed to hear that.

Anonymous said...

i didnt know you had a miscarriage, but I do know how you feel. I had a miscarriage right before I became pregnant with Caleb... It is not an easy thing and you will always remember the day. The only good thing about it is you know you will see them again. You know they will never go through the pain that we go through. They will never have there heart broken. love you and praying for you..

Ranch wife said...

Leanna, I am so sorry for your and Brandon's loss. The Lord knows and sees both of your hearts and He will be your comfort.
Take time to grieve. I don't know why this is...but it seems that if we are Christians we have this thought that we should never be sad, mad, depressed or grief stricken. We should be strong, and go around spouting scripture, about how all things work out for good, know what I mean? All things will of course...but sometimes it is very very hard to see how it will.
Grief is a God given emotional process. grieving is a way of healing. I think that during the grieving process it gives you a chance to slow down and really take inventory of your life, what matters, what does not. What is silver, what is dross.
And the thing is, it won't last forever. The missing of what could have been will linger, but the hard gut wrenching grief will fade.
I think that the reason that so many people are so messed up is that they don't take the time to mourn. They want a quick fix, and for life to get back to normal as soon as possible...and sometimes it just takes a while.
I think of King David. He went through every emotion known to man. He said at one point, My eyes have wasted away with weeping. Now if the man after Gods own heart can admit that he is sad and in mourning, and cry out his feelings to God, why can't we? God knows already. He cares. He has made promises to us as believers that He will not take back, He can't it isn't in His character to do so. He promises to never leave us or to forsake us. He doesn't promise it will be an easy road to walk, but He does promise that He will be by our side as we take the journey.
Praying for y'all.
Ranch Wife